Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Blanket and a Box

Yesterday morning, I noticed a homeless man had a made a home for himself near the entrance of the F train station at Ft. Hamilton Parkway.  As someone who has taken the F train at this station since I moved to Brooklyn a little more than three years ago, I'd never seen any homeless folks sleeping there...until yesterday.  When I came home from work last night, the man was gone, but his dingy blanket and cardboard box were still there, awaiting his return.  This morning, the man was back, sleeping in the corner covered by his blanket and his box. 

I have a serious problem with the homeless taking up space in my local subway station.  Once one guy comes in to seek shelter from the elements, soon there will be others and eventually you'll have a tent city on your hands.  I'm ready to take action and call 311 to have someone come out and provide some assistance to this guy.  There are services available for the homeless and maybe Ft. Hamilton Parkway's latest resident can take advantage of these services instead of sleeping in the subway station. 

I stepped off the train tonight fully prepared to see the blanket and the box in its corner of the station and my plan was to come home and call 311.  However, I was wrong.  Tonight both the blanket and box were gone.  I don't know if someone beat me to the punch and called the law on the homeless guy, if he took off, or if someone just hauled his stuff away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment