Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Bee Gees

When I had free HBO last weekend, I watched a documentary about the Bee Gees that was interesting. I didn't really know much about the band other than that they were brothers from Australia. I had no idea that they'd had a career before the 1970s and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I also didn't realize their younger brother, Andy Gibb, had died so young due to drug use. Watching the documentary, prompted me to get back into the music of the brothers Gibb. They really had some good songs back in the day. "Love You Inside Out" is one of my favorite Bee Gees songs. Everyone focuses on the songs from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, and I love those too, but the band also made some great songs outside of that album. And I'd totally forgotten about Andy Gibb's songs. "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" and "Shadowdancing" are great. In the 1970s, the Bee Gees knew how to make funky music that people wanted to hear. Were they overplayed? Certainly, but that didn't mean their music wasn't good. It's unfortunate that there was such a backlash against them at the height of their career, but their music lives on because it was good. 




No comments:

Post a Comment