Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Late to the Squid Game

I admit, I was late watching the Squid Game series on Netflix, but I binged all 9 episodes over a weekend about two weeks ago. I really enjoyed the series because it made me think about what I would do if faced with a situation where I had to possibly kill or be killed. When you have to put your life above anyone else's in order to save yourself, can you do it? 

On a lighter note, I loved the costumes (that I'm sure will dominate this Halloween) and the set designs. I really loved the Front Man character (and I thought his mask and ensemble looked great). 

I read that the creator of the series pitched it about 10 years ago, but no one would give him a deal. He said he believed he was able to get a deal for the series recently due to COVID. The situation of the world has changed a lot since 10 years ago and Squid Game came right on time. It's definitely the kind of must-see TV we can relate to now as we deal with and try to stay alive during the pandemic.

My only complaints (and these are minor) that I have with Squid Game were (SPOILERS) when the players attacked and killed each other. I understand why this happened. It was a way to eliminate a lot of people and get down to the core players to finish out the game. However, I thought this shouldn't have been allowed. Let the players get eliminated through the games! My second complaint was with the VIPs. These guys were so camp and a waste of space. Again, I understand why they were introduced (because the story of the undercover cop needed to move forward and they helped to do that), but their presence slowed the show down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment