Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Anonymous

With all of the White House intrigue as people wonder who the anonymous NY Times op-ed writer is, I have a theory that falls in line with the plot of Murder on the Orient Express. (If you haven't seen either movie version or read the book and don't want any spoilers, read no further.) In Murder on the Orient Express, there isn't one killer, there are several. Many people kill the murder victim. The line up and stab the guy one by one (at least in the movie versions I've seen). So my theory about the anonymous op-ed writer is similar: it wasn't written by one person but by several individuals. The VEEP provided a few lines, Kush a few more, Kelly, and the list goes on. That way it doesn't have the nuances of just one person, but the nuances of many to throw everyone off the trail.

In other news featuring anonymous writers, I saw the movie Love, Simon over the weekend. This rather wholesome coming-of age/coming-out film was interesting to me. Are kids today really nostalgic about the 1980s? The kid, Simon, in the movie dresses up like John Lennon circa 1980 (or late 70s), he sings a Violent Femmes song during karaoke at a party, and there's a whole dance sequence featuring Whitney Houston's song "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" (that was actually one of the highlights of the film for me). Also, while I commend the filmmakers for including a diverse group of students as Simon's friends, I did notice that they all seemed to be mixed race kids. I doubt any of the biracial kids had any problems passing the paper bag test. I guess that made them more appealing to the audience the filmmakers were trying to reach (i.e. white suburban kids). I was also surprised when Simon's anonymous love interest was revealed. I didn't see that one coming so good job, filmmakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment