Sunday, March 4, 2018

Pre-Oscar Thoughts

I'm planning to watch at least some of the Oscars tonight mainly because I actually saw a lot of the movies nominated. Normally I skip the show because I haven't seen a lot of the movies/performances up for awards, but not this year. While I did see Lady Bird, Call Me by Your Name, Get Out, Phantom Thread, and All the Money in the World, I didn't see Dunkirk, The Darkest Hour, Three Billboards, The Post, or The Shape of Water (and had no desire to see them). I enjoyed all of the movies listed that I saw, but do I think they're all Academy Award winning? No. For example, Lady Bird was a good movie with great performances, but do I think the movie and those performances were the best of the best? No. The same goes for Call Me by Your Name. As lovely as the movie was, Chalamet made that film for me. He was great and deserves all of the kudos he received for his performance. But will he win the best actor award over Gary Oldman or Daniel Day Lewis? Not bloody likely! Plus, I think if he did win, he'd fall under the Oscars curse and end up fading into obscurity and he deserves better than that.

I remember a time when I used to go the movies pretty regularly, but those times have changed. It takes a lot for me to go to theater now and see a movie. If I only kind of want to see a movie, I'll wait for it to come on Netflix. Plus, a lot of the movie trailers I see are for films I have no interest in seeing. Rarely these days do I see a trailer and think, I've got to see that when it comes out! Hollywood needs to do a better job of putting out films that aren't revisions of movies that were already made or movies about superheroes. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment