Monday, February 13, 2017

Constructive Criticism

I try not to complain or even speak about my day job on my blog because that work and my writing are largely separate entities in my life. However, every once in a while I have to speak about my day gig (usually to complain about it) and today is one of those days. I gave a manager what I considered to be constructive criticism, a brief statement that stated this person has communications issues that need to be resolved. Well, this lone sentence made the manager go crazy me. Clearly, I hit a nerve. This manager has been criticized about his communication (or lack thereof) in the past (and not just by me), so he knows it's a problem. Sometimes when you work a job, you realize you and your manager just aren't on the same page. Sometimes you both can manage to work around this and sometimes you can't. Sometimes you get to a point where something has to change. Either the manager leaves or you do. I think I've reached this point. I'm at the age where I'm not interested in stroking anyone's ego and I need a manager who isn't interested in having his/her ego stroked either.

No comments:

Post a Comment