Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Happy Sad

I saw an independent movie called The Happy Sad today and I largely enjoyed it. It's about two couples: one white and heterosexual and one black and gay. The movie focuses on how the lives of the couples become entwined when the white guy and one of the black gay guys become involved. What I liked about the film was that it showed a black male couple who were in a long-term relationship that didn't involve a lot of drama or self-loathing. All of the film's actors were good, but the two actors playing the gay couple had great chemistry together. The film was shot in Brooklyn and it was nice to see my former hometown featured even though it looked like the film was shot in hipster-ish areas of the city like Williamsburg (although I did see the Grand Army Plaza in one shot).


Since I write gay fiction, I tend to watch a lot of gay-themed movies and a lot of them, unfortunately, just aren't very good. But, when I come across a film that steps out of the box and provides an interesting story and realistic acting, I'm more than willing to give it praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment