Monday, April 1, 2013

Que?

I was reading about the recent huge Powerball winner who lived in Passiac, NJ and was surprised to read that, despite living in the United States for over twenty years after leaving his home country of the Dominican Republic, he didn't speak English.  Well, he claimed he didn't speak English well enough to answer reporters' questions about his new-found winnings.  How do you live in an English-speaking country and run a business in that country (he ran a bodega in Passiac) and not speak English?  I find this hard to believe.  Maybe he was lying about his language skills so he wouldn't have to talk to reporters.  Whatever.  If I lived in a Spanish-speaking country for more than twenty years, I'd hope to be able to communicate somewhat in Spanish.  Sure, I'd probably sound like Mike Bloomberg when I did it, but at least I'd be making an effort. I'd like to think I'd be able to at least say what I was going to do with millions of dollars I'd just won:  help my family, take some vacations, buy a new car, etc.  If people live in a country for a long period of time and don't learn the native language, they're not trying to learn it.  They're choosing to insulate themselves in an environment where they can speak the language of their home country rather than trying to go beyond those barriers and communicate with others.  I find this sad and a little lazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment