Tuesday, May 28, 2024

RIP David Sanborn

I found out jazz saxaphonist David Sanborn died while I was in Portugal via Datalounge, of all things. I was shocked to find out he'd been suffering with prostate cancer for a number of years because I had no idea. One of the last concerts I saw in New York before I moved to the Chicago area was one featuring David Sanborn and Bob James and it was great. I'd seen Dave in concert before, but not with Bob. They had a new CD out and performed songs from that and from their older Double Vision CD. 

Back in the 1990s, when I was a secretary, I met David Sanborn at a suburban Detroit record store. He was in town to promote his CD Pearls that had recently been released and I took a long lunch break, drove to the store, and met him. There's a picture of us together somewhere in my mounds of junk. I was (and still am) a huge David Sanborn fan. He was the kind of older man I really liked when I was in my 20s. Not that I could see myself hooking up with a guy who was almost my father's age, but I would have made an exception for Dave! There was something very appealing about him. Aside from being incredibly talented, he also seemed like a nice guy. I rambled when I met him and told him a story about some guy who kept yelling out "Jo Ann's Song" at a Sanborn concert I'd been to like Dave was taking special requests. He laughed and probably thought I was a psycho, but he still posed for a picture with me. 

RIP, Dave.  



No comments:

Post a Comment