Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Escape from New York

I'm back from a brief visit to New York this holiday weekend. I had not been in the Big Apple since February of 2020, BC: Before Covid. Things have certainly changed since then. I noticed a huge amount of homeless people in the Chelsea area where I stayed in Midtown. It was really sad to see so many folks sleeping on the street and panhandling for cash. You could smell the dispair. The air (that was hot and muggy during my stay) consistently smelled like a combination of urine, cigarillo smoke, subway funk, and BO. Ugh. But, New York always manages to bounce back from the edge of dispair and I have no doubt that it'll bounce back again after this too. Still, it kind of broke my heart to see the city so broken itself.

This isn't a gloom and doom post though. I did have a great time during my visit seeing friends and doing something I never did when I actually worked in New York City and lived in Brooklyn. I went to the Brooklyn Bridge.  I took the 6 train down to the bridge Sunday morning and walked to the base for some pictures. That was enough for me. And it was more crowded than I expected for a Sunday morning. I also went to the World Trade Center mall and bought a nice pair of shoes I'd seen online at Sam Edelman. I don't know when I'll get back to New York, but I'll make sure it's a little cooler the next time I visit. Going there in hot and muggy July wasn't the greatest time to visit. In my old age, I can't take the heat and humidity.





No comments:

Post a Comment