Friday, July 21, 2023

Wham!

I watched the Wham documentary on Netflix last weekend and really enjoyed it. As someone who was a teenager when Wham came out and loved George Michael when he was in the band, I loved hearing about how he and Andrew Ridgeley met and their rise to fame. Wham's music, for me, was largely happy music that came about at a time in my life when I was young and didn't have a lot of worries. And the 80s were a different time. There was no internet, no 24-hour distractions, and kids could be kids. Not that things were all sunshine and roses, but there certainly wasn't the burden that kids today have with such an information overload from their phones, computers, TVs, etc. 

Aside from the interviews and the Wham backstory featured in the documentary, I was happy to hear some Wham songs I hadn't heard in a long time. Everyone tends to mention "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" when Wham's music is mentioned (and I love that song), but they other great songs too. "I'm Your Man" is a personal favorite of mine that came up in the documentary and I had totally forgotten about this song. It's so great. I highly reommend checking out the video you YouTube (linked below). George threw down on that song! It came about shortly before Wham broke up, but it's wonderful. After watching the Wham documentary, I also watched a documentary on George Michael on Prime last weekend. Oy vey! What a downer that one was. It's a shame that George Michael seemed to have such an unhappy life and his downfall was awful. He was only 53 when he died. So talented and, yet, so unhappy. What a shame. I should have watched the Wham documentary again that was largely upbeat and put me in a good place mentally.



No comments:

Post a Comment