Sunday, March 5, 2023

Bye, Lori

The public has spoken and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot won't be given a second term. The runoff between Paul Vallas and Brendon Johnson will determine who will be the next mayor of Chicago. Since I don't live in Chicago, I don't have a dog in that fight, but I do work in the city (whenever I'm forced to go back into the office), so I do care who's elected even though I don't get a vote. Lightfoot, in my opinion, never had a chance. She alienated too many people, she was too stubborn in sticking to people and plans that weren't working, and she seemed often to be in denial about the crime problems in the city. Police superintendent David Brown was ineffective and should have been shown the door a long time ago. (He really shouldn't have been hired in the first place, but I digress.) I hope whoever the next mayor is that he does make crime in the city a priority. The shootings, carjackings, problems on the CTA, muggings, etc. are bringing the city to its knees. I'm glad I've been able to work from home so I don't have to go into the city on pubic transit. I can't even imagine getting on the L and riding to the Loop these days. During my few trips into the city for work, I've taken Metra that costs more, but at least feels fairly safe to me. 

As someone who has been an advocate for public transit, it pains me to have to say I'm seriously afraid of taking public transit these days. I never feared riding the subway while I lived in New York or even when I was commuting to my day job in the Chicago Loop. But I fear it now. A huge part of the problem is the revolving door of criminals being let back onto the streets with an ankle monitor and a court date. If you tried to shoot someone, you need to be locked up and stay locked up. No bonding out. No ankle monitor.

People want to feel that they can venture out of their homes safely and do things like see a show, go out for dinner, or go shopping without wondering if they're going to make it back home alive. I wish the new mayor the best because he's going to have his work cut out for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment