Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Heat!

So many places here and abroad have been experiencing a heatwave. The planet is on fire (or at least it seems like it is). I grew up in a house that didn't have air conditioning and it was fine. (When you're young and don't know any better, you can deal with a lot of things!) Granted, we didn't have the long-term scorching hot days we seem to have now and we had a basement we could go to if the weather got really uncomfortable, but we largely made do with open windows and fans during the summer. But now, I can't imagine living without air conditioning. In my pre-menopausal state, I'm hot a lot of the time, even if it's not 90+ degrees outside. During a Zoom call with my boss a year or so ago, he asked about a ceiling fan he could see going in my home office/spare bedroom. He wanted to know why I was running the fan during a time of year when it wasn't hot outside. I had to explain the pre-menopausal thing to him and how I'm frequently hot because of that. I just had a new ceiling fan installed in my dining room a few weeks ago to replace an unattractive light fixture (shown below) that the previous owner left behind. And I love my new ceiling fan! It creates a great cross-current in my living and dining rooms and cools things down when I don't have the air going. 

What I don't love? Being hot, especially at night. I can't take it. I feel jumpy and slightly delirious if it's burning up and I'm tossing and turning because it's too hot to sleep. The heat has driven me to a panicked state. My place often feels like a meat locker and that's the way I like it. Cool...comfortable. I'd rather put a sweater on because I'm chilly instead of turning the air off. My electric bill will probably be ridiculous when I get it later this month, but I don't care. I'll cut back on something else rather than reduce my air conditioner use.




No comments:

Post a Comment