Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Desensitized

As we deal with yet another mass shooting incident here in the US, the question arises again: have we become desensitized to these shootings? Sadly, I think so. They're so frequent that when another one happens, there's the initial outrage, thoughts and prayers, and then it's back to business as usual. The ever-changing news cycle just moves on to the next big thing. Remember when Ukraine was the big news? That's old news now. Yes, we still see coverage of the war, but not like we used to. The media moved on to the next big story: abortion and the Supreme Court, Buffalo, and now Uvalde. It's sad that people can't do their grocery shopping or send their kids to school without worrying that they'll be shot. The violence is out of control in our country.

I have mixed feelings about gun legislation. I grew up in a household with guns. (My father is from the South.) I do think legislation needs to be put in place to allow for responsible gun ownership, but I also know that many felons don't get their guns the legal way, so any legislation wouldn't impact those folks. As I grow older, I've been thinking more and more about getting a gun myself for protection, but the one question I haven't answered is whether I think I could actually kill someone. If it got to the point where I had to pull a gun on someone and the situation was kill or be killed, could I actually pull the trigger and do it? And I won't be a gun owner until I'm able to answer that question with a definitive "yes." Also, if I did get a gun, I'd make sure I took some lessons to learn how to use it properly. I'm not going to "wing it" with something like that. I'd want and need instruction in how to properly operate a firearm.

Some people are crazy and the sad thing is you might not know when that crazy person turns that craziness on you until it's too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment