Saturday, April 23, 2022

Bad Numbers

Like many folks, I read about the fall of Netflix subscribers and how their revenue projections fell short due to this. I can't say I'm surprised. Every few months, I flirt with dropping Netflix. For every entertaining Bad Vegan/Tinder Swindler/Squid Game series there are 10 other series on Netflix that I wouldn't watch if you paid me. (Bridgerton, anyone? I know I'm in the minority here, but ugh. Sorry...not sorry.) Part of the problem with Netflix is that they threw too much money at people like Ryan Murphy who didn't produce hits. Say what you will about Shonda Rhimes, but she reels in a big audience for her shows. And, when you look at the numbers, she brought more viewers to Netflix for the shows she produced than Ryan Murphy did and she was paid a lot less than he was by the company. But, given the difficulties Netflix is facing now, I doubt anyone will see the kind of deals Murphy and Rhimes got anymore. Those days are over! 

My main issue with Netflix isn't the cost. I only pay for streaming on one device and I feel it's reasonable. My problem is with the content. So much of the stuff they actually produce is just awful. I'm sorry, but it is. Bad movies, series that are stretched to 5 episodes when 3 would have sufficed, and general garbage that should be on a free streaming service rather than on Netflix, that you're paying for. I read Netflix is considering adding advertising to its streaming service. That would probably be the nail in the coffin for me. One of the things that's great about Netflix is the fact that there aren't any commercials to watch. I pay for the privilege of not having to sit through commercials. If I want to see commercials, I'll watch a free streaming service like Tubi or Pluto. And, speaking of free streaming services, my Roku died this week. It just stopped connecting to my WiFi for no reason so I went out and got an Amazon Fire stick. So far, so good with that. I just got it today. I hope it doesn't die on me like the Roku service did after a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment