Saturday, March 12, 2022

De-Escalation

 I'm trying to enjoy my remaining weeks of staying inside and indoors while Covid still lingers and the weather is cold before things start opening up and I'm forced back outdoors. (Thankfully, my day job is allowing folks to continue working from home for the time being even though offices are reopening later this month.) While I'm indoors, I've been watching way too much TV, mainly stuff about people climbing or attempting to climb Mt. Everest. Crazy! The danger! The altitude sickness! The oxygen deprivation! 

I also have some free premium cable channels so I've been watching documentaries on HBO and other services. I watched one earlier today about the guy who shot and killed the teen in Florida because he didn't like the rap music the teen and his friends were blasting from their truck that was parked next to the guy's vehicle. When I finished watching the documentary, something the judge said stuck with me. He talked about deescalating the situation and, had that simply been done, things probably wouldn't have gone south the way they did. Why do so many people find it so hard to mind their own business or just turn away from conflict rather than running straight towards it? I know conflict can't always be avoided, but in so many situations that get out of hand, the chaos comes because someone just can't let it go. A teenager is dead and a guy is in jail because one complained about another one's music. One guy popped off on the other one for complaining, then the gun comes out. How did the situation escalate so quickly over music? I also read recently about a case where one guy shot another one in a movie theater because one guy complained about another one using his cell phone during the movie previews. Then when the guy with the phone got angry with the complainer and went after him, the complainer took out a gun and killed the guy. He felt his life was in danger. Again, did it have to come to this? Could no one de-escalate the situation? Have people lost control of their faculties? 

In totally unrelated news, I watched Nightmare Alley recently on HBO a few days ago. Bradley Cooper looked awful in it even after he got some money and cleaned up. He really hit the wall hard. I've always thought Bradley had a limited shelf life in terms of his looks. I think he hit his peak with the first Hangover movie and that movie where he took the drugs to make himself smarter (that I can't remember the title of). Speaking of that movie that I can't remember the title of, I actually saw him filming a scene for it on 5th Avenue in New York. In the scene, he looked like a bum because he hadn't taken the drugs yet, but he still looked pretty good. What happened, Coop? 

No comments:

Post a Comment