Saturday, March 19, 2022

Bad Vegan

I've got to stop watching these Netflix train wrecks like the Tinder Swindler and Worst Roommate Ever. They're entertaining, but they make me angry and sad at the same time. After binge watching Bad Vegan last night, I, once again, feel like weeping for humanity.

Are people really this stupid? Did this woman really believe that this out-of-shape guy was Black Ops? Did she really believe he had supernatural powers and needed huge amounts of money from her in order for her to pass some test and make her dog immortal, or was she just full of shit? I'm leaning towards the full of shit excuse. There were a lot of things about Bad Vegan that I found totally ridiculous, but I kept getting stuck on the fact that the restaurant owner was a Wharton grad who had previously worked for Bear Stearns. A Wharton grad who, apparently, couldn't manage her own business. Wharton should be ashamed of the grads they've been pumping out. Donny T and his offspring, this Bad Vegan woman, and I'm sure countless others who have failed in their business ventures. What the hell kind of skills are they teaching over there?

When I lived in Philly (the first time) and was in graduate school (not at Penn), I worked with a woman I'll call Cathy who was in the same lowly assistant position that I worked in. She was a Penn graduate and the word around the office was that her boss only hired Penn graduates because she felt they gave her some cache. Cathy was a very nice young woman, but she wasn't particularly bright. She certainly wasn't what I'd think of as Ivy League smart. She just seemed very...regular. I remember wondering how she ever got into Penn. Maybe she was secretly a genius who hid her talents from those of us in the office, although I doubt it. I always gave the side eye to Penn graduates after that. But back to the Bad Vegan/Wharton grad.

My theory is that this woman may have been conned initially by her lying husband, but eventually she was in on the grift. I saw her as a Patty Hearst type who wanted to do something different and become a different person and, after the gig was up and she was in too deep, she cried and lied about being brainwashed. I was amazed at how this chick was able to still get tons of money from people (investments and personal loans) when she was deep in the hole. Her husband referred to her as TBH: tiny blonde human. I guess that's all you need to be to get dudes to give you money! See the Theranos woman also.


No comments:

Post a Comment