Thursday, February 10, 2022

I Weep for Humanity

I watched The Tinder Swindler on Netflix last weekend and my first thought after watching it was that I weep for humanity. So many women were perfectly willing to give a man they barely knew thousands of dollars. And these women couldn't afford to give anyone this kind of money, so many of them took out loans and ran up their credit cards to help this phony billionaire. This may sound cruel, but I didn't even feel sorry for the women who were duped. I felt sorry that they were so gullible. I also felt angry that they were probably the same kind of women who'd reject a guy with a normal job who didn't have access to a private jet or wear designer clothes. Am I blaming the victim? A little, but am I wrong? I don't think so. People certainly should trust others, but people also need to trust their gut and if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right. If you can't afford to lose any money you loan/give to someone else, then don't loan/give it. 

I know the Tinder Swindler had all kinds of stories about being chased by bad guys and having his funds locked down due to this but why didn't he get money from his wealthy family? Why weren't they about to provide him with funds to help him out during this rough patch? The whole thing just didn't pass the smell test. If you're flying around the world in a private jet on one hand then begging your girlfriend to up her Am Ex limit to help you out on the other, something ain't right.    

No comments:

Post a Comment