Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Distractions!

I have to find things to distract myself from Donny T's White House shenanigans so I turn to Netflix, books, writing, whatever! You can find ways to work block out our government mess. This week, I've been reading a lot about The Mandalorian, particularly the adorable Baby Yoda. I don't even have the Disney + streaming service so I haven't seen the show and I'm also not a Star Wars fan, but I have seen clips of the show online and read about it. It sounds interesting. The Baby Yoda character (who is not called Baby Yoda in the show), seems intent on protecting the Mandalorian and vice versa. With all of the recaps available online, I can find out what happened each week and, more importantly, find out what Baby Yoda did.

Another distraction this week was finishing Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. (You can read my review on Goodreads.) I wanted to like this book more than I did. At first, I was totally into it, and then it just went on and I found the characters to be really juvenile. But, in fairness to the author, I realize I'm not the demographic for this. It really was written for a younger audience who would probably appreciate a lot of the things that annoyed me (the pop culture references, the texting, the emails). One thing that the main character Alex kept saying was that he was "bisexual." As Datalounge posters would say, "Sure, Jan." Bisexual means you're with/attracted to men and women, yet you never saw Alex with any women or read about his experiences with women. So, where's the "bi" in that "bisexual"? Dude, come on.

My other distraction was to overhaul the story I've been working on, thinking about, and failing to write by changing the plot slightly and making the narration third-person rather than my usual first-person. I haven't written anything with third-person narration in quite some time so it's time to give it a whirl again. I think it's necessary for what I'm working on now since I'll have two points of view and I didn't want to have to keep switching between chapters from each character. I really hope to get a lot of work done over the holidays since I'll have some time off from my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment