Sunday, November 25, 2018

Post-Thanksgiving Greetings

I returned to my hometown of Detroit over the Thanksgiving holiday and had a nice time visiting family and eating my way through the Motor City. One thing I was glad to see during my visit was work being done on the streets in my old neighborhood. It's good to see tax dollars at work paving streets that are in dire need of repair. Good things are happening in Detroit, albeit slowly. Still, any progress is a step in the right direction.

In other news, I saw two movies recently, one via Netflix and the other at the actual movie theater.

Can You Ever Forgive Me is the true story of a writer who started forging letters by famous people in order to sell them for cash. It's a great movie starring Melissa McCarthy as writer Lea Israel. McCarthy is wonderfully terrible in the film and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I told my sister that the moral of the story was that New York real estate will drive you to a life of crime! When you need to make the rent and you're short on funds, desperation sets in. Take it from someone who lived there. The rent is no joke in New York. Oy!

The second movie I saw was The Greatest Showman. I only really wanted to see this to watch the always attractive Zac Efron, but I was left disappointed by the film. There was too much bearded lady and not enough Zac. Plus, Zac got beat up near the end and his lovely face was injured. He should have yelled "not the face" when the mob came after him. Aside from Zac being beaten, the music wasn't great either. It was far too "Disney-esque" for me. There wasn't one song I liked or even remembered when the movie ended. Well, they can't all be winners, can they? I'd like to see Zac go against the grain and do something dark and gritty. Maybe in his later years he'll do that. One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment