Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Government We Deserve

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: We get the government we deserve. I don't understand all of the shock and awe over Donny T.'s latest publicity stunt to separate and cage immigrant children. Did people not pay attention to what Donny said on the campaign trail? Did they think he was bullshitting? What you saw on the trail is what you get in the White House. I shake my head at people who thought Donny would change after becoming POTUS. Seventy-something year old people don't change, not like that. By this time in their lives, their views are largely set in stone. So enough of the pearl clutching and gasps of shock and claims of "I can't believe he's doing this" because he IS doing it. The question now is what's going to be done about it?

Watching all of this news about the Mexican border has made me think about the time I went on a tour to Tijuana years ago during a trip to San Diego. We went by bus and had a few hours to explore Tijuana. I spent the majority of my time in the station waiting for the bus to take me back to San Diego. Tijuana, for me, was no bueno. (I did have a nice lunch there and got a nice brown suede purse.) But the most fascinating thing for me was seeing the chaos at the border.  (This was before 9-11 when you could go to Mexico on a driver's license and a passport wasn't required for US citizens.) It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Thankfully, our group was able to have expedited service and avoid the long lines that Mexican folks had to endure who crossed the border for work or whatever. The border then was a hot mess and I can't even imagine what it's like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment