Saturday, June 16, 2018

(Don't) Step Into My Life

I have a stepmother and step-siblings. My father and stepmother have been married longer than my father and mother were married and they seem to be in it for the long haul. I have no issues real issues with my stepmother. She's not overbearing or awful like stereotypical stepmothers are. Her kids, however, are another issue. I'm just not a fan of the bulk of them. They were raised in a different way than my sister and I were raised and I find myself just not on the same page with them a lot of the time. One of my stepsisters is a holy roller, another one just seems like she'd beat you down if given the opportunity. (The kids of the holy roller seem like they'd all beat you down too! I keep my distance!) My stepbrothers are a little more chill but even they seem slightly odd to me. Thankfully, I don't see them much since we all live in different states, so I don't have to spend a lot of time with them. One thing that bothers me about one of my stepsisters is that she seems to have co-opted my father in place of her own. I thought her real father was dead because none of the kids ever said a thing about him and I finally asked my stepmother last summer if he was deceased. She said he's alive and well in Michigan. The kids, however, don't seem to have any kind of relationship with him. I don't know what the backstory is on that and it's none of my business. Maybe that's why they cling to my father so much. Maybe he's the father they never had. I'm glad they enjoy my father so much, but I'm kind of annoyed that they call my father "Daddy." When my father married my stepmother, we were all adults. No one was a child who grew up with these two folks or lived under the same roof with them. I can't even see myself calling my stepmother "Mommy" or any variation of the word "Mother." My mother died more than twenty years ago and she's the only mother I had. My stepmother is not a replacement nor does she wish to be. She's my father's wife. Period. And her kids are just that...her kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment