Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Oversharing

I've been reading about Lena Dunham's latest scandal involving text in her book where she experimented sexually with her sister when they were both children. She refers to herself (jokingly, she says) as a sexual predator, then, when she's criticized for her behavior, she blows a gasket and says she's being attacked unfairly. If I had an opportunity to speak with Ms. Dunham, I would say, "Girl, stop oversharing! No one would know about your childhood weirdness if you didn't share every aspect of your freaking life with the public!" Oy! I can roll my eyes at Dunham, but I really want to know what editor allowed her to publish this stuff? Did no one proof her book? Did no one advise her that maybe she was making a mistake in discussing these matters publicly? Maybe someone did and she pushed back, but the publisher usually has the final right to make editorial decisions so I can't imagine a publisher couldn't have prevented this story from being published. Also, I'm no fan of Dunham or the right-wing publication that criticized her behavior (I vote for Team No One in this case), but I do wonder why no other critics who reviewed her book didn't bring this issue to the forefront? Was the entire episode just glossed over or not deemed worthy of discussion?

No comments:

Post a Comment