Friday, July 18, 2014

Observations

Is this week over yet? I feel like it's been filled with bad news and more bad news. Wars, plane crashes. Enough already.


Because I write primarily about gay men, I try to keep up with news in the gay community and I've been reading about the drug Truvada that's being prescribed now as an alternative to condoms in the fight against HIV. There have been a number of articles about Truvada lately and from what I've read the drug is expensive (although it is covered by insurance), it has some serious side effects, and information about it doesn't seem to be reaching the hard-hit minority communities who would probably benefit from access to it.


There's a debate about the use of Truvada versus condoms. On one side, you have some arguing that using Truvada and dealing with its side effects is unnecessary when condoms could just be used while others argue that being able to have sex without condoms is worth the risk of whatever side effects Truvada could cause. I'm still on the fence about where I fall in this debate, but I'll continue to read up on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment