Sunday, September 19, 2021

Driving the Bus

I made the mistake of going to my local Walmart yesterday and when I go to big box stores like this, especially on the weekend, I try to park at the far end of the lot for two reasons. 1. I prefer parking away from the majority of folks and COVID has made me even more likely to do this. 2. I figure no one will park close to me if I park really far away. Well, when I came out of Walmart yesterday, there was a huge SUV parked beside me and it was parked crooked. The driver didn't even try to straighten up his/her vehicle. It was so crooked that I had trouble backing our of my space. I did manage to get out and avoid hitting anyone (although I was tempted to leave a note on the offender's windshield that said "Learn how to park, asshole!"). I didn't leave any notes, but I drove away thinking that some people who buy/lease these huge SUVs don't seem to be able to park them and there's a reason for that: they're too big! Many SUVs on the roads now are huge. They're like little buses. The DMV should require a CDL to drive one. These huge SUVs don't fit comfortably into regular parking spaces either and many of the drivers can't be bothered to try and make the tight fit required to stay within the parking line. I understand why some drivers park in the hinterlands of the parking lot so they can space out with their minibuses. Then again, some folks just can't drive and they can't park regardless of what kind of vehicle they're operating. A lot of kids don't seem to learn how to drive as teenagers anymore, so the instruction happens later in life and that leads to less time behind the wheel. Chicago has been having a lot of car jackings since COVID and many of the carjackers are kids...kids who can't drive. Driver's training isn't offered in the public schools anymore and you have to pay for this kind of instruction here and it shows. 


No comments:

Post a Comment