Thursday, May 28, 2020

Minneapolis

My sister lived in the Twin Cities for about 10 years and I used to go and visit her there. I loved visiting Minneapolis and St. Paul. I found the people friendly and I enjoyed being there. It was a nice break from the East Coast, where I was living at the time. I remember visiting one year in the winter and my sister and I went to the post office. I must have needed stamps or something and the clerk at the window was so friendly. He asked how I was doing and we chatted for a moment. That kind of thing didn't happen when I went to the post office in Brooklyn.

Seeing the murder of George Floyd and the unrest in Minneapolis makes me sad. I know bad things happen everywhere, but I was still surprised to hear about this happening in Minneapolis. The Target store that was looted by hoodlums last night was a store I had visited while I was there. (My sister used to refer to it as the Tar-ghetto because of its location.) I remember my sister and I laughing at the public housing in Minneapolis because it looked so much nicer than public housing we'd seen growing up in Detroit and that I've seen in other large cities like in Camden and Brooklyn.

With everything going on right now, it's discouraging to hear about one more bad thing. While people are dying, broke, losing their jobs, being evicted, dealing with depression, and generally flipping out, what's Donny worrying about? Twitter fact-checking him. Really? Yes, really. God, November can't come soon enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment