Saturday, April 25, 2020

Grocery Store Clothing

I bought shirts from Aldi last week. That's right. I bought clothing from the grocery store. I was in line (maintaining my designated 6-feet distance from other shoppers) and noticed a twin pack of camisoles on the shelf. I bought that pack of camis and they're very nice. I read an article recently where a clothing store owner in Alabama was complaining because his store wasn't allowed to be open due to the COVID-19 situation, yet Walmart was allowed to be open and sell clothing. This man seemed to overlook the fact that Walmart sells food in addition to clothing. If the complaining shop owner also sold meat, eggs, bread, milk, etc., I'm sure he'd be allowed to open also, but selling just shirts and pants doesn't cut it. Yes, we need clothes, but no one is going to die because they can't go shopping for a new shirt or a new pair of pants. People will die if they can't eat!

During this quarantine, I've thought a lot about what a return to the office might mean for me personally. My day job has a pretty open floor plan with no real dividers to keep you from reaching out and touching the person sitting next to you, in front of you, or behind you. There are no high cubicle walls. This is a problem if you're concerned about someone else breathing on you. And what about the ventilation? If COVID-19 can be circulated through an air conditioning system (like Legionnaire's disease), how can workers be assured that they won't ingest droplets or whatever from infected people? And what about the common workplace spaces like restrooms and kitchens? How can companies deal with possible transmissions when you have so many people touching the same stuff? It's one thing to keep your own workstation clean, but that's nearly impossible when dealing with community work spaces. Maybe we'll all end up wearing Hazmat suits in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment