Monday, April 20, 2020

Stress Baking

As we start yet another week under home arrest, I have to confess I did some stress baking over the weekend. I made a 7-Up cake cake that turned out quite well. (When the only cake pan that you have is a Bundt cake pan, you made a Bundt cake!) I'm glad I had a small bag of flour I bought the last time I made a cake that I could use because I sure couldn't find any at the grocery store. Clearly I'm not the only person stress baking right now. I had all of the ingredients and was ready to go yesterday when I realized I didn't have any 7-Up! (It's not something that I normally drink and have on hand.) I had to go out and buy a small bottle just to make the cake.

I'm trying to focus on the positive aspects of this crisis. With so many places closed, I'm certainly saving money by not being able to buy much more than groceries, so that's good. The weather is turning nicer here (although we did have snow last week), but on the warmer days, I've been able to get out and do some walking to get exercise since the local Y is closed for business, and that's great. (Sitting around eating cake and watching trash like "Tiger King" isn't helping me to keep the weight off, so I need all the exercise I can get!) My next goal is to walk my bike to the gas station and get the tires pumped up so I can ride around the neighborhood. Gas has fallen below $2 a gallon around where I live so that's a plus (even though I'm not doing much driving these days). The money from the government helped. So many people are out of work right now, so getting those funds hopefully helped to ease some of the financial burdens some people are facing.

I wish I could say I'm getting a lot of writing done, but that's not happening. I've been dragging my feet on a story I've been working on for some time now and I'm about ready to throw in the towel on it, but not yet. I keep thinking I can salvage it, but at some point I'll have to move forward or call it a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment