Monday, August 26, 2019

Yikes!

As Labor Day weekend approaches and the kids are headed back to school, I realize summer is almost over. Unfortunately, here in the Chicago area, we got summer about a month late since May and June were washouts due to rain and cool weather. We did rebound in July and August, so no complaints there. I can already see the days are getting shorter and, before we know it, we'll be digging our heavy jackets, coats, and sweaters out of the closet. Yikes! I keep seeing Christmas stuff advertised on various shopping channels and Halloween candy was out in stores last month (seriously). I'm surprised I haven't seen any Thanksgiving stuff out yet. I'm not ready for fall and winter yet, but they're coming whether I'm ready or not.

In other news, I saw Sting perform over the weekend at Ravinia and he did a great show. He performed a number of fan favorites like "Everything She Does Is Magic" and "Roxanne" and "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You." I was surprised he did "King of Pain." I wanted to hear it, but I didn't think he'd do it. If he would've done "Can't Stand Losing You" I would have been really bowled over (but he didn't). He can't sing all the songs we each want to hear! I'll be seeing Steely Dan this coming weekend minus the late, great Walter Becker. I did have the chance to see The Dan with Fagen and Becker many moons ago, so I'm okay with seeing just Donald Fagen hold it down solo this weekend. I'll report on what songs he performed during the show. I doubt I'll hear obscure songs like "Through with Buzz" (a classic!) but I'm hoping for "Black Cow" and "Bad Sneakers" and "Everyone's Gone to the Movies" and "Daddy Don't Live in That New York City No More" (a personal favorite).

Drivin' like a fool out to Hackensack
Drinkin' his dinner from a paper sack
He said, "I've got to see a joker and I'll be right back."

No comments:

Post a Comment