Monday, July 29, 2019

Worth the Money?

I have Netflix streaming and a Netflix DVD subscription (that I've had for years when there was no streaming available). When I signed up for the streaming service, I rarely even used it until maybe about a year ago. But, for me, the shows and movies available with the streaming service don't seem worth the money.  I understand Netflix is trying to build its base by creating its own shows and not having to rely on purchasing the rights for network shows. However, the majority of the shows and movies offered just don't seem worth it to me. I'll start watching something and then abandon it because it wasn't holding my interest. Plus, there's not enough international content. I still have to rely on the DVD service to see a lot of things that aren't available through streaming (and the DVD content isn't great either). When I read recently that Netflix lost subscribers, I can't say I was surprised. I'm thinking about cutting the cord myself on at least one of their services (and it would probably be the streaming).

I also bailed on several shows I tried to watch when I had HBO for free (because I refuse to pay for HBO). I bailed on Game of Thrones (not my cup of tea), Euphoria (drug-addicted teens? Hard pass on that one), Chernobyl (I fell asleep during episode one and woke up to episode two), Big Little Lies (suburban moms? Hard pass again), Insecure (couldn't get into it), and Succession (didn't care for it). I watched (or tried to watch) the first episode of each of these shows and had no desire to watch any additional episodes. I did fast forward through a few episodes of Girls, but only ones with Andrew Rannells in them because Lena Dunham and that crew make my neck hurt. But it's not all gloom and doom from me for HBO. I love Curb Your Enthusiasm and I've seen every episode of that show, but only via DVD or during a free HBO weekend. Larry David is a genius!

One thing I do like about streaming services and On Demand is that you're allowed to pick what you want to see and that's great. Eventually, cable in its current form will go extinct and an a la carte service will be the norm. I just hope by then that the offerings are better than what we have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment