Monday, May 13, 2019

Post-Mother's Day Blues

It's always difficult for me to deal with Mother's Day because my own mother died more than twenty years ago. (I can't believe it's been that long, but it has!) I recall one year a guy wished me a happy Mother's Day and I told him thanks but (A) I don't have any kids and (B) my mother's dead. He looked horrified and scurried away. In hindsight, I should have just left it at "thanks." If you're one of the motherless on Mother's Day, I feel your pain. I have a stepmother and she's great, but it's not the same as having your real mother around. My father remarried when I was an adult, so I didn't grow up with my stepmother as a parent. I don't even really view my step-siblings as siblings. They're acquaintances. I've expressed this view before, but I'll do it again. My feeling is that my father married into my stepmother's family...I didn't. And, in doing so, he's responsible for maintaining relationships with her kids, etc. I have no obligation towards these folks. And after taking one vacation with them a few years ago, I decided I wouldn't go down that road again and I haven't.

I do hope those of you out there who still have your mom in your life and/or if you're a mom yourself had a great Mother's Day. Even if my own day wasn't great, I certainly hope yours was!

No comments:

Post a Comment