Monday, May 6, 2019

Dad Rock and Other Things

As someone who enjoys the music of Pearl Jam, I was surprised to read someone refer to their music as "Dad Rock." I never would have thought of Pearl Jam as "Dad Rock" but I guess it is now. Eddie Vedder is a dad and I'm sure other members of Pearl Jam are dads also. And many of the male fans of Pearl Jam from the 90s are probably dads also now. If Pearl Jam is considered Dad Rock, then what's the music of Steely Dan? Grandpa Rock? Can't we all just get along?

In other music-related news, I've been listening to and thinking about Carly Simon's song "Nobody Does It Better." I recently wrote a short story that's scheduled to come out sometime this year (I think) in a JMS Books series that focuses on the number nine to celebrate the publisher's nine years in business and in that story, I explain nine songs on a character's playlist and what those songs mean to the character and his partner. One of the songs featured in the story is "Nobody Does It Better." I'm not a Carly Simon fan, but I do love that song. I love the lyrics, the way she sings it, and pretty much everything about it. I think it's a great karaoke song for people like myself who can't sing that well. There aren't a lot of high notes to hit, the lyrics aren't complicated, and most people (I assume) are familiar with the song. I don't even think about the song in the context of the James Bond movie it's famous for. I'm sure I saw "The Spy Who Loved Me" but when I hear "Nobody Does It Better" I don't think of Roger Moore. I think about...other things. For me, the song is very sensual and if you see it pop up in anything I write, just assume some sexy time is soon to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment