Thursday, May 16, 2019

Alabama? Not Surprised.

With Alabama's latest move to restrict most abortions, I have to say I wasn't surprised by the move. As someone who has a parent from Alabama and someone who has been going there for as long as I've been born (and I'll be there later this month), I am quite familiar with the ways of this state. Alabama does a good job of voting against its own self-interests in the name of some phony moral grounds. This is a state that loses tons of money because they refuse to allow the state to have a lottery system because, I guess, they're against gambling. And what do Alabamians do when they can't play the Lotto in their home state? They drive over to neighboring states, like Georgia, and play their numbers, thus giving Georgia's economy a huge boost while their own state gets nothing. I have such a love/hate relationship with Alabama. It's complicated. When I consider packing up and moving there if I have to in order to care for my father if his health goes into decline, I just can't see myself actually making that move, at least not anytime soon given the attitudes of the people and the laws of the land. Still, I've always enjoyed visiting the state and I've never had a bad experience there. (Perhaps I've just been lucky!) But being a visitor and a resident are two very different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment