Sunday, July 5, 2015

Halloween III

I know it's July 5, but I've got Halloween III: Season of the Witch on my mind. (Thanks, Svengoolie!) When I initially saw Halloween III back in the 80s, I was disappointed because it didn't follow the Michael Myers storyline from the first two Halloween movies. No, Halloween III went off the rails entirely with a plot involving mind control via a corporation that made Halloween masks. I didn't appreciate the greatness of Halloween III until many years later when I saw the movie as an adult. It really is a good movie and the message of corporations controlling the public would be timely today, too. Plus, the little Silver Shamrock song with the London Bridges theme that plays throughout the movie is infectious. "Two more days till Halloween..." Another mind control movie from the 80s that's good is They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper. That one involved non-humans taking a human form that wasn't detectable unless you had special glasses. They Live and Halloween III were both ahead of their time. I don't know if the whole mind control plot device was popular in the 80s because of things going on politically at the time (Reagan, the Berlin Wall, AIDS, etc.). Was there more paranoia out there because of current events? Probably, but, as someone told me once at a job interview, the paranoid have enemies, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment