Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Poor Bob Benson

When Bob Benson proposed to Joan on Sunday's "Mad Men" episode, I just shook my head. Poor Bob. He knows he can't be an openly gay man and a Buick executive so he wants to give the illusion that he's a straight man with a family by marrying Joan and making her and her son his new family. Thankfully, Joan rejected his proposal. Even though she clearly likes Bob and her mother and son seem to like him also, she knows marrying him is a recipe for disaster for both of them. Yes, a sham marriage would have gotten her a nice house (away from her mother), financial security, and a father for her son, but it also would have probably made her (and Bob) miserable. I suspect Sunday's episode was Bob Benson's last for the series, but I hope it wasn't. I'd like to see him again. I enjoy watching actor (and suburban Detroiter) James Wolk in the role, but there really isn't a place for him now that Joan has turned him down. I'm still holding out hope that he and Pete Campbell will hook up as I'm thoroughly convinced that Pete is really in the closet and just hasn't figured that out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment