Monday, November 13, 2023

Killers of the Flower Moon

I finally went to see Killers of the Flower Moon over the weekend. I read the book earlier this year and had been wanting to see the movie ever since I saw a trailer for it some months ago. The movie was great. Say what you want about Leonardo DiCaprio's personal life, but that guy can act. I read recently that he's 48 years old and that surprised me. I didn't realize he was almost 50...and dating 20-year-olds. Huh. Anyway, back to the movie. Even though Leo is playing a character who, at the start of the book, is much younger, I was able to forget about that because the acting was so good. He and Lily Gladstone work very well together in the film. DeNiro is also good but, geez, that guy is so old and small now. Maybe he's always been small, but he looked tiny in the movie. My only complaint (and it's a big one) has to do with the running time of the film. Clocking in at 3.5 hours (with no intermission) is too long. I made sure to use the restroom twice before the film even started (when I got to the theater and again during the previews) and I didn't drink anything during the movie, but in the last 45 minutes, I had to go. I managed to make it through the entire movie without having to dip out, but it was a struggle. The movie started at 10:45 am at my local theater (well, the previews ran until around 11:10) and I didn't walk out of the theater until 2:30 pm! Half of my Saturday was spent in the movie theater! Scorsese (who shows up in the movie also near the end) really should have had an intermissing about 2 hours in. People have to pee, Marty!!! I told a co-worker of mine today that waiting for this to stream would probably be a better option for those who can't hold it (or who don't mind running out and missing a little of the movie so they can tinkle). 

Before reading David Grann's book on the Osage murders, I had no idea about any of this, but I wasn't surprised by any of it either. If there's money to be taken, particularly from a group that has been exploited for years (and, frankly, is still being exploited like Native Americans), someone's going to try and take it. If oil had never been found on Osage land, none of this mess probably would have happened. Greed kills. 



No comments:

Post a Comment