Saturday, October 8, 2022

Out of Touch

I've been reading a lot lately about the poor box office numbers for the gay rom-com Bros (and I wrote about this movie in my last post), but I've got more to add on the subject. The marketing campaign for this movie has been a master class of what NOT to do to convince people to see your film and that alone has been amazing to watch (for me anyway). You don't put out a trailer for a movie that insults the very audience you want to attract. The geniuses behind Bros put out a trailer where a bunch of the movie characters are sitting around laughing and agreeing with a character who says something to the effect of straight people being over ("they had a good run"). Then Eichner gets angry and blames straight people for not showing up to see his film. If someone basically insults me in the trailer of the movie, then why would I spend my money to see that movie? The trailer is supposed to make people want to see a film, not alienate them from it. I can take a joke, but maybe don't put that insulting sentence in the trailer when you're trying to bring straight people into the theaters to see it. Every thing is not for everyone, but why come out of the gate with insults? And Eicher's general meltdown when the film didn't meet its financial expectations didn't help matters either. I said it before, but it bears saying again. Eichner contributed largely to the failure of this movie. He did. Sorry...not sorry. Come at me, BRO! I doubt I'll even watch it when it's available on streaming because he's so off-putting. He's out of touch with what's going on in the world (Covid is still around, folks) and he's delusional about his appeal to the masses. 

Moving on. I consider myself to be someone who's also out of touch with some things going on in the world. Case in point: Harry Styles is in Chicago for a number of concerts this weekend and I was watching groups of fans camped out for tickets earlier this week. First, I didn't realize people still camped out for tickets. I thought everything was done online these days. Second, the Styles fan base is serious. I knew the guy had a huge following from whatever boy band he used to be in, but his solo career has certainly reached new heights. I don't get it, but I'm not meant to get it. I'm not that demographic and that's okay. Again, every thing is not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment