Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Not the Road Dog I Used to Be

I drove to my home state of Michigan this past weekend for a family function. I left Friday and came back to Illinois Sunday. Both drives were terrible. Going to Michigan, I ran into a lot of construction in the Great Lakes state. Around Niles, someone's car had stopped in a section of I-94 where construction was going on and no shoulder lanes were available, so everyone had to move from two narrow lanes to one narrow lane. Oy vey! After that, once I hit metro Detroit, I-275 was down to one lane due, again, to construction. I ended up getting off the freeway and making my way to my hotel via side streets (Ford Road to Telegraph). My old school knowledge of Detroit area streets kicked in. The drive back to Illinois on Sunday was even worse due to heavy rain around Paw Paw, MI, construction in Indiana, and basic backed-up traffic in Chicago. I'm done doing any long-distance driving for a while. It's stressful and I'm just not the road dog I used to be. I don't like being in the car for over about 5 hours. Later for that. If traffic is moving and the weather is good, I can deal with it. But when there's a lot of construction and bad weather comes into play, forget about it. I did have a great time in Michigan and saw family members I had not seen in some time (including one cousin who told me, "Covid is a hoax!"). Whatever, cuz. This same cousin breeds pit bulls (Detroit, folks) and has named two of his dogs after our uncles, Bob and Ralph. Really, cuz? Okay. Bob has been deceased for some years, but Ralph is still alive. (He's quite elderly, but still around.) I wonder if anyone's told him his nephew named his pit bull after him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment