Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Keepers

In keeping (no pun intended) with my steady stream of documentary-watching, I just finished the series The Keepers on Netflix last night. It was fascinating and frustrating at the same time. I was fascinated with the stories told by the women and men in the Baltimore community. Some of the students of Keough High School were truly dealing with awful levels of physical and mental abuse. The abuse that Maskell and his cohorts put on these girls by was mind-boggling. As someone who's not Catholic (and has serious issues with Catholicism and the Catholic Church), I was annoyed with the level of power that Church members wielded over so many people in government, law enforcement, and society as a whole in the past in that area. The Catholic Church works people from the inside, meaning people get worked over psychologically by the Church. (Other religions do this also, so I'm not just singling out Catholics here.) The mental hit job that was done on the abuse victims here was awful. 

What frustrated me about the series (aside from Netflix dragging it out for seven episodes when, really, four or five would have sufficed) was that nothing was really resolved in the end. I doubt the ladies who were investigating Catherine Cesnik's death will ever find out what happened to her. When the series ended, I found myself with more questions than answers. But I commend the women for banding together to try and solve the case of who murdered their beloved teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment