Sunday, March 3, 2024

Too Much Time on (Your) Hands

I watched two Netflix docu-series over the past few weeks. The first one, called Lover, Stalker, Killer, centered around a guy who was stalked by a woman he dated. The second one, called American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders, focused on a journalist who supposedly committed suicide, but many believed he was murdered because he was looking into a software program that the US government used supposedly to spy on other nations. Both of these series seemingly don't have anything in common, but I realized after finishing the second one that they did have a common thread. In the first one, a woman spent an incredible amount of time and effort stalking a guy. In the second one, a reporter spent an incredible amount of time and effort trying to figure out of a guy was murdered. Watching both series made me wonder, Who has this kind of time on their hands??? I can't understand how some folks go so far down the rabbit hole with stalking or obsessing over celebrities or trying to figure out who really shot JFK that their lives are seemingly overtaken by their obsessions. Don't they have day jobs? Bills to pay? Family obligations? Lives to live? Maybe I'm just too lazy to take on a task like trying to solve a murder or stalk a dude who dumped me. I can see teenagers or young adults being wrapped up in the life of a celebrity. (Look at the Taylor Swift fandom, for example.) But I don't get adults in their 30s+ doing this kind of thing. It's like having another job. Yeah, I worked 8 hours for some corporation and now I'm going to put in another 6-8 hours stalking my favorite celebrity/the one-night-stand who dumped me/the weird guy in my apartment building/whoever. I don't get it. Aren't you exhausted enough by life in general? Apparently not!

No comments:

Post a Comment