Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Star Is Born...A Bath Is Needed

I saw the latest version of A Star is Born yesterday starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga and really enjoyed it. The film was a little too long, but the performances were great. The main crux of the film, in my opinion, was how Gaga's character dealt with loving an alcoholic. She knew from the jump that he was an alcoholic, yet she hung with him because she loved him and he was the one who helped her become a success. Would she have excelled as a songwriter and performer if he hadn't taken her under his wing? Maybe, but I doubt it. I've been reading critical observations about the film and one thing I read discussed how she needed emotional support also when she was spending so much of her time and herself being there for him and that's true. Where was her shoulder to cry on? She did have a supportive father (an unrecognizable Andrew Dice Clay) and their relationship was nice to see, but she was largely left to her own devices to try and navigate a career and an alcoholic spouse. The helpers need help too, people!

Aside from my notes above, I left the film with a few observations:

1. Lady Gaga looks so much better to me when she's not dolled up as Lady Gaga.
2. "Always Remember Us This Way" is a great song.
3. Bradley Cooper's Eddie Vedder imitation only went so far with me. Don't give up your day job, dude.
4. Why did Bradley Cooper look like he needed a bath in every shot of the movie? There's a scene when he's actually IN a bathtub in the movie and he STILL looked like he needed a scrub down. Seriously, he looked consistently greasy, sweaty, and nasty. I know he was supposed to be an alcoholic and pill addict but he never could seem to clean up. Even in rehab when he was free of substances, he still didn't look sufficiently clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment