Sunday, May 6, 2018

Movies

I saw two movies over the past few weeks that were both interesting in their own way.

First: A Quiet Place. The premise of A Quiet Place is intriguing. The remaining survivors on earth who are left after an alien attack must remain quiet in order to avoid detection by said aliens. While I had many questions after seeing this movie such as why the family couldn't wear soft-soled shoes or slippers or socks or something rather than just walking around barefoot which could (and did) cause problems. Wouldn't a soft-soled slipper be as quiet as a bare foot (and more sanitary)? Did the government just give up trying to defeat the aliens and just tell people to be quiet? Why have a baby when you know how loud babies are? If you're stealing medication from the abandoned pharmacy, why not pick up some birth control also? So many questions, but I was glad to see a movie that put some thought into the plot instead of just relying on the same old alien invasion story.

Second: Rogers Park. I saw this independent movie last night. It revolves around the lives of two interracial couples living in Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood. I enjoyed the movie because it focused on real problems people face on a daily basis: financial problems, relationship problems, family problems. I thought the screenwriter took the easy way out by totally avoiding any issues that dealt with race, but I was kind of glad the movie didn't let racial issues overtake the central themes of the movie. Rogers Park is such a quirky part of Chicago and I'm often in the area since I live very close to the area. If I had to pick a part of Chicago to live in, I'd seriously consider Rogers Park. I think it has a diversity of people and I was glad to see the film capitalize on that diversity. I also enjoyed seeing shots of the movie that were filmed in my hometown of Evanston.

No comments:

Post a Comment