Friday, April 13, 2018

Yuck

In a week of more shenanigans from Donny T. bitching about the Feds coming down on his crooked attorney (Note to Donny: It's not a break-in when the law enforcement people have warrants), I read that Taylor Swift has remade Earth, Wind & Fire's great song "September." As the late, great Amy Winehouse asked, "What kind of fuckery is this?" Taylor and EW & F shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. I listened to about three seconds of Swifty's version and shut that shit down. Yuck. Everyone can't sing every song. For example, I love Harry Connick, Jr., but his version of Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas" is pure garbage. He should have left it alone. The same goes for his version of "Danny Boy." Terrible. But I can forgive Harry for those minor mistakes because he has so many other great songs and he's a talented guy. If you ever get the chance to see him in concert, do it.

In other music-related news, I heard Peter Gabriel's song "Sledgehammer" on the way home from work today and, while I love the song, I grew tired of hearing it in the 1980's when it was a hit. I can listen to it now, but for years. When I look back at performers from the 80's like Phil Collins and Eddie Money, I think these folks would never have made it in today's music business. They don't have a "look" that can be marketed no matter how talented they are. The music industry didn't used to be so concerned about marketing a person based on their level of attractiveness. The industry was more concerned about the talent of the performer and/or musician. I wish that were still the case. There are so many people in the music industry today with little to no talent who are marketed to be successful because they have a look people like. Plus, with Auto Tunes, no one even needs to know how to sing anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment