Monday, December 23, 2013

Burnt Money

Over the weekend, I saw a great Argentinian film called Burnt Money based on the true story of a gay couple who robbed a bank in Argentina in 1965. Their robbery resulted in a manhunt that lead to Uruguay where the two men were finally surrounded and killed. The movie is based on a book called Money to Burn by Ricardo Piglia (that I plan to read once the copy is returned at my local library). What I liked about the movie was that the gay relationship between the men showed that these two really cared for each other. One of the men, Angel, was clearly mentally ill (hence the "voices" he claimed to hear throughout their time together), but Nene (the other man) loved him and didn't abandon him even as he watched mental illness consume him. Aside from the story and the great acting, both the actors in the movie were also very good looking and that's always a plus with me. The movie does go a little Scarface at the end with the shootout with the police and I wish there had been more scenes showing Angel and Nene's relationship (and less with Nene and some chick he picked up at a carnival), but I still thoroughly enjoyed the film and would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment