Thursday, October 28, 2021

Netflix

Just some random thoughts on some Netflix stuff:

Midnight Mass: I watched all seven episodes of Midnight Mass on Netflix recently and after I watched the final episode last night, I wondered, What did I just watch? As with a lot of Netflix stuff, this series probably could have been cut down to 4-5 episodes and still been effective, but Netflix likes to stretch stuff out. I've got spoilers here, so read no further if you don't want to see these.  I kept wondering while watching Midnight Mass why there was so much blind trust in the priest, especially a new priest no one knew. Was everyone so charmed by him that they just ignored any warning signs? In the first episode when Father Paul showed up to take over, no one thought to check on the previous priest who was supposedly ill on the mainland? What kind of church folks are these? As the episodes went on and the whole vampire scenario was revealed, I thought about The Lost Boys movie. The vampires always need a gate-keeper, right? In The Lost Boys, that person was Max and in Midnight Mass, that person was Bev. The sixth episode was too "Jonestown-esque" for my taste. Who in this day and age who knows about Jonestown is going to willingly drink some concoction while locked in a church? Come on! Overall, the series was interesting. Some parts were slow and really talky, but I largely enjoyed the series. It was different, the acting was good, and Hamish Linklater was great as the priest. 

Passing: How are you going to have a movie about passing with two actresses who can't pass? Again, come on! I haven't watched this one yet (and I plan to), but I have real issues with the casting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment