Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Alienist

I've been watching The Alienist series via On Demand and I've got one more episode to go. A co-worker suggested I check it out even though she and I have different tastes in movies and shows in general, but after watching the first episode, I found it interesting enough to ride it through. What's particularly fascinating to me is the whole immigrant/turn of the century/New York experience. I'm not crazy about the main story line of poor, immigrant children being murdered by a serial killer, but seeing how the alienist and his team track the killer is interesting. I hope if there's a second season that the plot changes and that Dakota Fanning is replaced. She's a terrible actress. She overacts in every single scene she's in. (Sorry, but it's true!) In the final few episodes, I feel like the writers went overboard a little with the alienist falling for his housekeeper (who, I believe, was supposed to be of Native American descent) and then flipping out after she's killed by a crooked Irish cop. The kindly white doctor falls for the woman of color who not only cleans his house and cooks his meals but also doesn't speak (yeah, okay) and then she's killed by an Irish drunkard. Plus, to add a little more spice to this diversity stew, let's throw in a black handyman and some Jewish detectives just to round out the cast. Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment