Saturday, December 23, 2023

Smoke Them If You've Got Them, Darling

Over this holiday weekend, I'm planning to do three things: read, write, and watch TV. So far so good on both. (The writing could be going better, but it's happening...slowly.) The reading is going well also and I'm trying to finish two more books to add to my Goodreads list for 2023. As for the TV watching, I finished watching Maestro on Netflix this morning (after starting it last night). 

Despite all of the brouhaha over Bradley Cooper's fake nose, I found myself forgetting about that early into the film and focusing instead on the excessive smoking. I could probably count on one hand the number of scenes where someone didn't have a cigarette in their hands, between their lips, whatever. I realize people smoked heavily during the time period the film covers, but in Maestro, it became a distraction for me. Another thing that bothered me was the language of the film and the cadence of that language. The Trans-Atlantic accents drove me crazy, darling. So over the top. The movie was interesting and Matt Bomer looked lovely in it (even though his screen time was brief), but was it the best film I've seen this year? Does Bradley Cooper deserve an Oscar for his directing and/or performance? No and no. As far as acting goes, DiCaprio was better in Killers of the Flower Moon. Movie-wise, the only movie that really got me thinking after I'd seen it and riled me up was Passages and that's not winning any Academy Awards. 

I'm about an hour into the film Saltburn and that's turning out to be a disappointment also. Did we really need another retelling of Brideshead Revisited? I don't think so. Plus, Barry Keoghan is so physically off-putting to me that I'm finding it hard to focus or care what happens to his character. I don't know why this actor's face bothers me so much in this film, but it does. I'd seen him in other films and didn't have an issue, so I can't explain why he's bothering me so much in this particular movie. Sometimes things just don't make sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment